Thursday, June 25, 2009

Why?


When I logged into youtube to check out a video this video was on the front page. I honeslty know very little about Taylor Swift and T-Pain, actually last year was first year I knew who Taylor Swift was and because of that "I'm on a boat" video, I know who T-Pain is. I do not live under a rock, I read the newspaper, watch cable tv, read blogs, etc.

However, when I saw that this video was being featured on Youtube as a "video being watched" the immediate question the came into my mind is Why? Taylor Swift is a popular country musician and TPain is a popular hip hop guy, but is there a reason the country starlet is leaving the guitar for a set of baggy pants? Is she like Joaquin Phoenix ditchin her successful career and going into the underground world of rap and hip/hop?

Then it hit me, why she did this. She is not abandoning her twangy bubble gum songs about love, she's doing this for the same reason Youtube exists. We as people love to be entertained and this video is showing that truth loud and clear. Over one hundred and eighty thousand people have watched this video. Why? Because of the star power that comes with the video but also I think this video gave us as consumers what we want, to be entertained. I think ultimately that's what has made Youtube so successful is because almost every top ten video that has been created is entertaining in its purposes, taking people from the unknown into stoplight.

Take for instance this video:

This band decided to make an innovative music video behind their record label's back and this creative idea made them internet superstars.

Not everyone will become an internet celebrity, take for instance this video, this kid isn't signing autographs or interviewed on VH1's top internet videos. He made the video out of boredom while cooking and only 100 plus people have watched this video. Why did he make it? Not to be popular but to have fun, just ask him..er me :-) :

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
sinner and saint. gentleman and gracious. witty and wanderer. thinker and tinker. lover and lazy. poetic and passionate. romantic and restless. complex and callious. blessed and bastard. weary and wide eyed.

Followers