Tuesday, June 16, 2009

College Peers or Heroes?


As I compose this blog entry, I am also listening to/kind of watching the ASU baseball World Series game. When I was a child, I loved watching ASU sports every moment I could. The athletes I would watch or hear on the radio were my heroes, as a boy they seemed like superheroes achving the unbelievable. I watched Bill Frieder coach the SunDevils to monstrous wins and devestating defeats, I was at the edge of my seat when ASU almost won the national champtionship only to lose in the Rose Bowl, I loved listening to the play by play on the radio while I tried to emmulate the actions I heard.

I was deteremined that I would become an ASU SunDevil, graduate at the top of my class, join a faterity, play one of the sports, date and marry a cheerleader. When I got accepted in ASU, I was estatic. My dream was coming true and I couldn't wait for classes to begin. I had similar emotions like when I was a younger boy eagerly awaiting for Christmas to arrive.

I'm a senior right now, in fact earlier in the day, I applied for graduation which means my undergrad life as a SunDevil is coming to an end as I will walk in December. I didn't play any college sports, the fraterity life no longer appeals to me, I have not met a cheerleader that I would consider marriage with and my gpa is average. Yet, while watching the SunDevils try and get a win from Texas, I feel very connected to my fellow SunDevils. They have walked the same halls that I have, pulled all nighters in the library and some, their college lives are coming to an end too. Instead of looking at these peers as celebrities who are distant from me, I see them as peers, who experience the same joy and pain that I have faced.

I think that being a college student during the same time as these guys helps put a heavy dose of reality into my thinking. It makes these athletes seem more human than superman which makes me cheer them on more passionately and geninuely as I see them as people, who hit the snooze button, dislike Scantron tests and are not too different from you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
sinner and saint. gentleman and gracious. witty and wanderer. thinker and tinker. lover and lazy. poetic and passionate. romantic and restless. complex and callious. blessed and bastard. weary and wide eyed.

Followers